Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Special guest appearance by Season

Hey guys! I have been thinking about CCM lately as I journal in my quiet times, and Doug said I should post some on here sometime, so I’ll get right to the point. Hope it is a good insight for someone.



If you are a Christian, then you believe that God is the ultimate creator. Well, I challenge you, then: if you think that your dreams and ambitions of being a filmmaker or tv producer (aka, a creator) are something separate from your being a Christian, you have another thing coming. That other thing is your calling.

You may have a good idea of what your specific “calling” means to you. But for just a second, strip away your notions. Think of what Jesus originally meant our calling to be, in it’s simplest form… When Christ had risen from the dead, right before he ascended to heaven, He called us to spread the Gospel to the ends of the earth. What does that have to do with filmmaking and television and capturing all night for Mark Stepp and auditioning for a part in a romantic comedy? Nothing. Or EVERYTHING.

You are in CCM. You are being poured into, trained, and equipped to be a Christian in Hollywood. You shouldn’t be surprised anymore if God calls you to LA or NY. I remember myself and other CCMers having many discussions about “feeling called to LA,” and “feeling like I could really make it.” We shouldn’t have been so surprised! But never forget what it means to be called. When you are called somewhere, it will only be for the cause of Christ. If you are going for any other reason, don’t go. LA doesn’t need anymore people who have missed the calling of Christ. And it sure doesn’t need anyone else coming in loudly proclaiming to be a Christian, only to be a sorry example in quality of professionalism and/or by their life example.

But my point isn't to discourage you from going, but to encourage you. So if I could give you any encouragement, it is that you have positioned yourself well by being in CCM. You are learning. You have the opportunity to prove yourself in real situations. You are surrounded by Christians who love you and aren't too scared to correct and confront your faults, (and PLEASE, don’t wait any longer to deal with your personal problems. Get it done in that environment, because it only gets harder when you leave).
You have set yourself up for success by being in CCM. Now your challenge is to work hard without complaining, and allow the areas where you are lacking to be poked and prodded and strengthened. Don’t pretend that that is so hard. Overcome it. Bigger challenges await you, and you won’t get to them if you can’t get this smaller mess out of the way.


Ciao!

Season

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I agree - go through crap while you are tehre. Work through things with support, friendship and prayer. I am very glad and grateful for all of the hard times I went through in my Three years at CCM - and their were ALOT!!! But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nicole Annable