Sunday, October 19, 2008

Macbook Pro 17" Users Beware

Every Apple product I've every used has been top notch.

Professionally... Personally... Apple is THE way to go.


Unfortunately I've run across a very odd circumstance...

For the past 3.5 to 4 years I've been using a Macbook Pro 17".
I had one for two years... and thing ran like beast. Really a great machine.


Last Fall I got a new Macbook and things were going pretty well til about 2 months ago.
My Screen went black.
The fan stopped working... and when the machine went to sleep... it didn't really go to sleep... resulting in a firey hot Macbook!
The drive would spin.
Occasionally the computer would re-boot giving the friendly Mac chime.
I tried connecting my Macbook with my cinema display... NOTHING.

So I took it to an approved repair place.
Diagnosis: Bad Logic Board.
Solution: Replacement under warranty.

All my data remained because there was no problem with the hard-drive. (Whew!)

Ok... things were looking good.
The machine was working through the launch of the tour just fine... which was a good thing because I had hundreds of videos to view and approve!

Then last Thurs... WHAM... same situation.
I thought: There is no way the logic board blew again.
But... the symptoms were exactly the same.

This time a trip to the Genius Bar was in order.
The GENIUS quickly surmised... LOGIC BOARD.

Now here's the deal:
Apparently NVIDIA announced within the last month that there was a problem with the GFX card on some of the 17" Macbooks. (Turns out that announcement came about 2 weeks after my last Logic Board was replaced).

The GENIUS told me that specifically the 3000 series was affected. (Guess you can tell that by the serial #... not sure of the specifics on that however)

So if you are a 17" Macbook owner... and you experience the same symptoms above... a trip to the Apple emergency room will be in order.

Still waiting to see if Logic Board replacement #2 will do the job. Actually, more like praying it will!

From what a friend who used to be a GENIUS (can you be a former Genius???) tells me if it blows a 3rd time... NEW Macbook coming my way.

Man... New would be good... but the hassle would be not so good.

I'll keep you updated...

Forge on Mac users!!!

No comments: