Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Art of The Hustle Part I

Some days I thank God for designing us in such a way that we crave the things we need even though we as Christians spend so much time trying to resist our cravings, and that in the end God is much more "human" than statue.

Sometimes I thank God that He gives me the gifts and abilities that I need to follow my path, but not many that I don't so that I don't become too prideful. Then I thank Him that I am so humble, -probably more humble than you.

Today, I'm thanking God for the art of the hustle.

Doug asked me a little while back to start posting on his blog, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get to it. This will be more for the CCMers out there in good 'ol Garden Valley more than anyone else, but my random guess is that is probably mostly who reads Doug's blog anyway.

I've only been out here in L.A. since mid February, but I've gotten a pretty good crash course in trying to carve out a path out here. Of course, there have been both ups and downs. So, if I'm able to pass on any little hint of wisdom that can give any of you an edge who plan on coming out here yourself, that's what I love to do. I won't go into all of my experiences and everything this time, but especially those of you leaving in August to come out here, I hope you'll contact me and let me share a few things with you first that may help you get a good start. In any event, here's what has been on my mind lately that I want to share this time- the art of the hustle.

It's always been interesting to me how God has brought out latent gifts inside of me only at certain times when I most needed them to follow the path He has me on. At certain times of my I have seen different gifts, that I didn't previously operate in much, suddenly surface in a very natural unplanned (by me) way. When I was in CCM you no doubt did not see me as much of a hustler. I certainly didn't see myself as one anyway. Now when I say "hustle" in this particular context I do not mean a cheat, swindler, or dirty-dealer-of-rotten-deeds. Surely, you must be picturing me wearing a large silky purple hat with an over-sized peacock feather, strolling down the street and swinging my gold chain, possibly stopping here or there to roll a couple of dice, but never never breaking stride as I casually nod to passers-by whom wave their hands at me in approval (all the while whistling "It's Getting Hard Out Here For A Pimp.")

No, no, my dear poppets.

What I mean is you probably never saw me swinging deals, heavily negotiating, or promoting my services. There wasn't a lot of need for me to. I was in an environment that allowed me to work my way up with hard work, dedication, and faithfulness- and that was just fine by me. Since being in LA, however, I have seen a different quality in myself suddenly blossoming. There is no other way for me to explain it other than that God knew that I needed it for this time and so -poof- He drew it out. [Poof is what we in the biz call an SFX- that's a freebee. ;) ] All of this is to say, that I want to point out to you the things I've seen God drawing out in me out here, so that you can hopefully apply them to your own journey in whatever way is useful. So, with that said- let's talk about hustling. I'll break it up over time, so today we'll just hit part A.

A) Self promotion is not a negative thing.

Let me clarify- self promotion of yourself as a person for the purposes of inflating your ego, making someone else jealous, or impressing a member of the opposite gender in order to use and abuse them - is not nice. However, there is a difference between that and promoting yourself professionally.

It would be great if people just dropped their garden hoses, turned in awe and abandonment, and walked in droves through the streets to gaze upon the wild wonder that is your art.

It would also be great if eating the way I like to stopped making me fatter.

Neither is likely to happen.

If you were somehow unaware before, let me make you hip- this is an extremely competitive field we have chosen (or that has been chosen for us.) It sounds dreamily wonderful to think about following your dream ...until you realize that 150,000 other people share your dream and don't believe that you are entitled to exclusive rights to it. -Until you realize that not all 150,000 people are going to get to live that dream. Not even close. (I just picked a number- I'm sure I have no idea how many literal people actually share this dream, but you get the point.)

Shall we dismay? Shall we turn to electrical engineering instead or perhaps food services?
No offense to anyone in either of those industries, but -no. No, we shall not. This is still our dream and we still owe it to ourselves and to God to chase it.

But we do need to become very PRO-ACTIVE in chasing down that dream. First, we do everything we can to BE the best we can as media professionals. Then, we do everything we can to let others know we are the best.

Because, otherwise, here in L.A. where even my parking lot attendant carries his sure-to-win-an-oscar-some-day screenplay in his back pocket, you are not likely to just get noticed because you sent in a couple of applications and a link to your reel on youtube. So, not only do you need to find the work and apply, but you need to somehow stand out from the other 300 applicants who would kill to make this guy's coffee (that one, by-the-way, was NOT an exaggeration - literally 300 applicants in 2 days for a secratary job, and that is the norm.)

You, until you work for a production company, are essentially a freelance (fill-in-the-blank.) That means you are your own company. Your own product. Your job is to find a job, and you are self-employed. (Or, you actually are freelancing, and your job is to find many short-term gigs, ...and you are self-employed.) As a company, if you want to do business, you need to advertise. You need to develop a marketing strategy. You may even need to invest a little bit into an advertising budget as well. As you advertise, you will of course be making people aware of your product and trying to convince them how great it would be for them to buy and why it beats the other guy's product- ie: selling it to them. What is your product? (All together now-) You are. Sell yourself. It's not prideful, it's good business.

Wait, aren't we supposed to put ourselves in the Lord's hands and let Him create our success? Aren't I just being selfishly ambitious if I promote myself instead of waiting for that perfect job to be sent from the heavens, you know- "the Lord's perfect plan for me?"

As a speaker at the church I've been attending said this past week - God is a writer who wrote down some characters, placed them in a setting, and then actually handed them the pen. We are to be co-laborers with Christ, which means we are not spectators, we are participants. The same speaker talked of a friend of his who started a parade in his neighborhood for his children. They went door to door to their neighbors to tell them there would be a parade

...and that they were not allowed to watch it.

But, they were invited to walk in it. No one at all was allowed to watch, but all could participate. That is life and the way God intends life for us. Get in it, rip it up, and trust that God is ripping it up with you as a co-laborer and that His participation takes your participation and turns it into something amazing.

Don't do it alone, but -by all mean- do it!

Next time I'll start talking a little more practically about what that looks like and some things I've learned about how to hustle. Until then, hustlers, keep glorifying God in all you do.

Miss you tons,
Mike

2 comments:

Season said...

Good to hear from you, Mikey!

I am sooooo bad at self-promoting. SO bad. This is a good one for me.

The problem is that it feels humble not to self-promote... but in the end it's selfish and lazy of us to expect something to just be tossed our way... enough things to keep paying the rent, anyways...

good one.

Mike Priebe said...

Thanks.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's one of those things that we have to do, but we just need to make sure our heart is in check and we're doing it for the right reasons. That's the balance I think that keeps us from throwing out the baby with the bath-water.

I also had another thought when I read what you wrote. If we are finding our identities in what we do and we think that defines us, then promoting our services will feel prideful. The more we learn that the professional work we do (as much a part of us as it feels) isn't what defines us as people, the more we can separate the two in our minds and realize we are just promoting kingdom growth.
Easier said than done for most of us, I think.