Monday, May 19, 2008

My Story - How I got to where I am today

Doug keeps telling me to write on here sharing my 'real world' experience so I decided the story of how I got to where I am today was the best way to start.

I am Currently working as a full time Casting Assistant at a casting company called Carlyn Davis Casting (www.carlyndavis.com). We are located in the DC/Baltimore area. I started as an intern last October and was offered a full time position by mid December.
For me it started with BOLDNESS and taking those first steps - even if the first step was just a decision to take action.
I left CCM in June of '07 after almost three years of the program. I originally moved out to the DC area to live with family and save money before heading to LA - which is where I was sure I was SUPPOSED to be - but I have learned that if you Trust God He will put you where HE wants you and most likley where you need to be . (I guess Solomon wasn't lying when he said "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9)
I am an actor so naturally I was going to auditions, doing extra work etc... (that process is a whole nother story to be shared another time) but I knew I needed a job where I could make some stable money. While doing extra work I was thinking about how I had really enjoyed casting while I was at CCM so I decided to pursue that. My first step of boldness: I decided I was going to go into the casting company I was doing extra work through and just straight up ask for a job or an internship - which is totally not like me to do! Luckily I did some research first and found a posting on Craigslist for an internship at the Casting Company I am currently at. I contacted them, set up and interview and the rest was God. As far as how I got the full time gig - really it was getting to the point where the part time - non-paid - internship was not cutting it - I needed to pay the bills - I needed something to do during the days I was not interning....so I hit my knees - I prayed all day as I was cleaning or doing whatever - randomly through out the day I would find myself on my knees again crying out to God (I did not understand what was going on inside - I was so restless and... I don't even know). Again I decided to be bold and was going to ask if there was any possibility for a full time position at the company. The next day I found out the full time intern was leaving and I was offered her position. The Lord was so faithful to put me where I was needed and in an environment that I needed to be in. It turned out that my boss is a Christian as well as all the interns I was working with at the time. The interns and I started praying together in the mornings and we saw the company really grow in success. I have developed some really good relationships both professionally as well as Spiritually. One of my closest friends in the area is my Co-worker Suzanne. It is great to have someone to be challenged with and grow with on a daily basis.
I have so much more to share about life, about balance, about the process of transition, and so much about the business...but I will save all of that for another post(s).

Until Next time...
Trusting Him,
Nicole Annable (class of '06)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there alot of opportunities in DC/Baltimore area for TV jobs?

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of commercials and industrials in the DC/Baltimore area, and we also seem to be getting more film. "The Wire" was the big TV show out here but that just ended but we still have America's Most Wanted! There is a lot of production work out here but I am not quite sure how much of it is just TV.